Understanding Color & The Meaning of Color
By Joel Lumon Black
Color meanings vary from culture to culture, and will influence the impact your design has on your targeted audience. Here is a list of a few meanings on how colors are interpreted by brands:
- Hue is the primary value of a color and how the color red, green, blue, purple, etc. is perceived through the eye.
- Saturation of a color is the overall intensity or brightness of the color, any color that appears dull is referred to as desaturated.
- Value is the lightness or darkness of overall colors schemes.
- Blue: Security, Trust Worthy, Stability, Loyalty, Wisdom, Confidence, Trust, Friendliness, Preservation, Courage, Science.
- Green: Wealth, Money, Calming, Trees, Ambition, Endurance, Healing, Calm, Generosity, Natural, Completion, and Protection.
- Red: Energy, Power, Vigor, Leadership, Courage, Passion, Activity, Joy.
- Yellow: Optimism, Childish, Freshness, Law, Education, Arrogance.
- Pink: Romantic, Feminine, Love, Beauty.
- Orange: Cheerful, Passion, Pleasure, Enthusiasm, Fascination, Creativity, Fun.
- Black: Powerful, Mysterious, Elegance, Sophistication, Functionality.
- OTHER TIPS FOR UNDERSTANDING COLOR THEORY
- Research Trends
- Read design magazines
- watch television commercial, see what colors are popular
- watch fashion trends
- Watch Tutorials
- YouTube Videos
- Design Gallery Videos and Tutorials (SCS, StampTV, etc.)
- Use the colors from your paper stash,.mix them up in unusual ways
- Keep a color journal with your favorite palettes